Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What did Dela wear boys? What did Delaware.......




The thing about life on the road is that gigs don't always come in close proximity to one another. For example, I've been in Northern California for about 2 weeks now and will remain there for another month, but this past weekend I had a gig....in Delaware with Beth Cayhall. So last Friday morning, sweet Leslie Freeman packed up all three kiddies at 7:30 in the morning and drove me on the 1 hour and 45 minute trip from Etna to the closest airport, which happens to be Medford, Oregon. From there I flew to San Francisco, California, and caught my connecting flight to Baltimore, Maryland where Brian Oaks and Seth Marcum picked me up at the airport (wearing 3D glasses at night and driving a sweet Volvo rental station wagon, I might add.....) and we drove the three hours to Bethany Beach, Delaware where our gig actually was. Upon arrival at the townhouse (on the beach) I had been awake for 23.5 hours. Exhausted, I crashed in my (queen-size) bed and didn't even think about waking up until 11:30 the next day.

The next day was absolutely amazing. The band ate at this stellar joint on the beach (Bethany Beach is the cutest little shore town ever. I plan on vacationing there often!) called Mango's and then Seth and I went and swam in the ocean for about an hour. I don't think I've really done that since I was a little kid and used to visit my grandparents down the Jersey Shore and it was simply food for my soul. The undertow was strong and the waves were brutal so by the time we body surfed our last wave and got washed up on the shore we were exhausted...but felt like little kids....which was so worth it. :)

That night we played two awesome shows with Beth for her hometown crowd....one at the Bethany Beach Bandstand for about 1,100 people and one at the Milford, Delaware Volunteer Fire Fighter's Association Fire Station....for a smaller (but much rowdier) crowd. We jammed out. People danced. I rode a mechanical bull. Yes. You read that correctly (and by the way I was pretty much awesome at it!) Sunday morning we made the trek back to Baltimore (somehow it took 4 hours this time….who knows.) where the majority of the band had to hoof it to catch their flights back to Nashville. Seth and I grabbed a quick lunch in the terminal and parted ways. He caught his flight to his next gig in Charlotte….and I sat in the Baltimore airport. And sat. And sat. And boarded the plane. And found out that all three DC area airports had been shut down (for incoming AND outgoing flights) due to weather. And then our entire plane un-boarded. And sat………

Seeing as this is the end of the Delaware portion of my weekend and the beginning of the Denver one….I’ll be posting the conclusion in a separate entry…

To be continued…….

P.S. The answer to the riddle is, "She wore her brand New Jersey." [And, if you were wondering what did Tenne see? She saw what Arkan saw." You know I've always loved the cheesy jokes (Win Graham, Matt Minor...here's some more ammo for you)]

1 comment:

Jessica said...

your riddles are too too much.