Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sweet Southern Comfort…..carry on….




Since arriving in California, two things have been noticeably absent from my diet. The first are McDonald’s French fries and dollar-menu double cheeseburgers (plain, of course). As Wendy (roommate) and I don’t have Internet at our apt., and since I can eat for $2.36 and be full, I often head down to the Green Hills McDonalds for lunch/dinner/afternoon snack, and use their free WiFi to carry out my business whilst I eat cheaply. I am thankful for the lack of McDonald’s @ JH/Etna, CA, as my body is much healthier and skinnier without it. The second thing is sweet tea (Californians just don’t get it) and it is HIGHLY missed. I have yet to figure out how to fill this void.

A few weeks ago about 8 of us from the Deep South (there are a bajillion Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama folk around here) invaded Chef Bob’s kitchen and worked for about an hour trying to concoct the perfect batch of this magical elixir that runs through the veins of all true Southerners. We never achieved the greatness we hoped our striving would produce, and really the whole process served only to whet our desire for some quality tea.

A few nights ago my friend McKenzie ventured into town and found this Arizona “Southern Style” sweet tea and brought back a can for me. It’s not quite Milo’s (mmmm….the sweet goodness that can be achieved only by drinking that magic mixture tea from a milk jug)…but it was a welcome taste of home. He’s such a sweetie…wait, “sweet-tea.” (ba dum chhhhhhh).

No comments: