Thursday, July 24, 2008

hockey and music

I once read that you can't fully appreciate something until you meet someone who is passionate about it. I find this to be a curious truth. I came across the following quote today and although I don't have a particular intrest in hockey, I could identify my insatiable thirst for music with his love of the game.

"They say that Wayne Gretzky, as a 2-year-old, would cry when the Saturday night hockey game on TV was over, becasue it seemed to him at that age unbearably sad that something he loved so much had to come to end, and I've always thought that was the simplest explanation for why Gretzky was Gretzky."

At two and a half when I gave my first recital, I cried when I was told to leave the stage and put my violin away after rehersing for my first recital. The only way they could make me get off the stage, was to tell me that I had to get down, before I could get back on to play again. To my toddler brain, this logic seemed reasonable.

Nashville Symphony conductor Kenneth Schermerhorn once said "Even before I knew what a musician was I knew that's what I wanted to be." Me too, Maestro...me too.

1 comment:

Keith Bordeaux said...

i feel like i've read this somewhere before... ;)