Sunday, August 3, 2008

Retreat to Applegate



After our jetboating experience last weekend, the staff continued our time together by camping at a campground in Oregon (which ant beds and interstate noise aside, was amazing) and rose early the next morning to board the buses to Applegate Church. Applegate is an amazing gathering of the Bride of Christ. Founded by Jon Courson, this body meets outside in God's creation (see above pictures snapped on my trusty blackberry) and is such a sweet place for people, no matter where in their journey they are, to approach the throne in worship and to learn through the teaching of the Word.  Courson's son, Ben, preached the morning we were there and brought a simple, yet beautiful presentation of the gospel by focusing on how we are not to store up treasures on Earth, but in Heaven.  In light of the journey the Lord has me on with regard to finding my security only in Him, it was so encouraging to hear again that there is no merit to storing up earthly things, but that I should be concerned with Heavenly matters.  We also had the opportunity to witness the baptism of many, including several staff members who had never participated in this outward expression of relationship in Christ.  It was a beautiful service all in all.

And...there was a bookstore.  Books are my crack.  I love them.  I stocked up on three texts I'd been wanting to read and also bought Jon Courson's three volume, hardcover commentary on the Bible.  Courson's writing has such a draw...its deep, but so conversational.  I don't need a commentary to understand the commentary, but it's not "baby food" either.  I highly recommend it.  

3 comments:

Keith Bordeaux said...

wow. looks like an amazing setting for church. maybe we should get a group up in Nashville and start our own at Radnor Lake. ;)

Anonymous said...

"not to store up treasure in heaven" ...not to be gay, but i dont think thats scripture. ;) what are friends for right? i miss all u guys!

bb said...

Keith.....that would be amazing! :) Applegate is so beautiful. There is nothing like singing worship songs with bare feet in the grass.

McKenzie.....haha...whoops. I went back and fixed it. Thanks for catching that! :) Miss my personal security guard!