Thursday, October 2, 2008

The road to the White House....

...goes through Nashville.

This coming Tuesday night is the second of three big Presidential debates. This one will be a town-hall style forum of questions from a pool of 100 undecided, pre-screened Middle Tennessee voters. Tom Brokaw will be moderating. It will be held at Belmont University, a mere 3 miles from my house. Keith and I got the opportunity this morning to attend their "open house" event where the public could walk through campus and see the media staging area and the arena where the debate will be held (although the set isn't in place yet.) No, sadly, I don't have tickets. They are nearly impossible to get....and I don't know anyone actually going. However, they are having a "block party" this weekend with lots of special events around town and I plan on attending some of those. Keith took the following pictures this morning on Belmont's campus. I fully expected us to be cuffed by the Secret Service at any moment..but no one seemed to care that we were snapping away.


The front facade of Belmont...decorated for the debate!

              
I'm a Regan baby! (taken in C-Spans "Hall of Presidents" in the rotunda outside the debate hall)

the arena where the debate will take place....sans the set and carpet which clearly aren't up yet.

The building that will house the press.  Every press seat has a phone and internet connection!  It was crazy!  The building is temporary and is built on top of the soccer field!

bleacher type stands for the media to stand on and film the entrance to the rotunda.

beefing up on my "Debate o8" trivia outside the rotunda entrance.

Keith in front of the Belmont Belltower.

and me in front of the belltower.


the downstairs of the rotunda all decked out in banners!

2 comments:

Craig said...

Haha, it's really funny to see someone all excited about the stuff I've walked by every day for the last few weeks. It's definitely a little less cool for Belmont Students. It is still pretty cool though that they're going to be here debating soon.

I wish I had known you were going to be on campus this morning. I would have said hello.

~Craig

bb said...

hey now....I drive down that street every day and have seen the banners for weeks too...it's just big time when you think about it! We're witnessing history! :)

(I'm easily excited over things)